Jesus says in John 4:23-24, "But the hour is coming, and now is, when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is a spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."



Quitters vs Warrior Mentality

Sunday, April 15, 2012


        I admit it.  In the past, I had a ‘quitters’ mentality.  Something too hard?  Give up.  One too many disappointments?  Become cynical.  Numerous criticisms?  Give way to self-doubt.  Prolonged crisis?  Become numb and grit it out till it was over.  In all cases, I checked out.  I chose to go climb inside my world of isolation and despair. 

  “And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.  And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is unfit for the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:61–62

While I lived in my world of isolation , I did my best to convince myself that when the word says that we are not be partakers of this world, He meant that if I did not want to get hurt I needed to stay as far away from people as possible.

It is easy for a Christian to use the word of God to justify their actions, including their Quitters Mentality. 

When given a glass of water that is half-full a person will respond in two ways:
Quitters Mentality-Seeing the glass half empty
Warrior Mentality-Seeing the glass half-full

Quitters Mentality-When faced with the reality of the Lord soon return.  Now that I have accepted the Lord as my savior, all I need to do from now on is attend church on a regular base, obey church doctrines, pay my tithes, and try my best to live a moral life. I pray that He returns before I have to go through any more trials and tribulations. “Hurry Lord!” becomes a rational response to the problems of life.

Warrior Mentality-When faced with the reality of the Lord soon return. Now that I have accepted the Lord as my Savior and my Lord, all I need to do is keep my focus upon the Lord and His purpose for my life.  The prayers of the day becomes, “Lord what do you require of me until you return?” 

Quitters Mentality-When faced with the reality of facing condemnation and criticism from others. There are there human reactions when facing other people’s negative conception of who you are as a person. You either whine; “Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I ought to go eat worms and die.” Or you take fighting stance; “ You want a piece of me.” Or set out to prove the other person is wrong and they are right in any way that you can. 

Warrior Mentality-When faced with the reality of facing condemnation and criticism from others. You learn to accept that reality that persecution as apart of the Christian walk, and react accordingly. With an air of forgiveness that come with a sound relationship with the Lord. With a sense of self-esteem, born of knowing who’s child you are. A child of God, filled with the same compassion, understanding and love as Jesus Christ that resides in your heart

Quitters Mentality-When faced with chronic illness and pain. The response comes in many forms. If the doctor cannot find out what is wrong with me, then I do not know what will happen to me. If the doctor cannot treat my pain effectively then my life is over, I can’t live this way.  If I see myself as a strong Christian, then my illness has to be punishment for some unconfused sin, there is no other reason to explain my illness or pain.

 Warrior Mentality-When faced with chronic illness and pain. Understands and accepts the reality that there are limitations in modern medicine. And find my strength not in my doctor’s opinions, but in the wisdom that I gain that comes from the Lord.  All I have to do is be open to the possibilities that I may find the relief I need in simple changing my life style, diet, and the way I deal with stress.  With the Lords grace in my life, He will guide me through the darkness of my pain, until I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Until that happens I will accept one victory at a time, living my life one moment at a time.

Whether you have a Quitters Mentality or a Warrior Mentality, it is up to your to judge your own heart.

0 comments: